The Manila city government’s free jeepney ride program officially began Monday, benefiting operators, drivers, gas stations, and commuters.
Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau Director Dennis Viaje reported that around 28,000 passengers had already boarded free jeepneys in the capital city as of 11 a.m.
“This free fare is brought to you by the taxpayers of the city of Manila. This was conceptualized by the local government due to the crisis. The public faces compounding problems in the economy, to the point where they experience difficulty commuting,” Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said in Filipino.
A total of 22 Jeepney Operators and Drivers Associations and 1,400 public utility jeepneys joined the program, which will initially run for five days over two weeks, with possible extension depending on available funds.
The local chief executive said the initiative was deliberately structured to deliver guaranteed benefits to affected sectors.
“Everyone will benefit. For the operator, there is guaranteed revenue, and there is a boundary. For the driver, from their regular P200 to P300 net earnings, at least now around P1,000 is guaranteed,” Domagoso said.
He added that the city government will subsidize daily operations of participating jeepneys while allowing commuters to ride for free.
Domagoso said the program would cost roughly P20 million in taxpayers’ money over five days, noting that the breadth of its impact justified the spending.







