It’s all systems go for today’s Traslacion with logistics and security preparations in place – a stronger “andas” or carriage for the Jesus Nazareno image, some 18,000 police deployed, and all Department of Health hospitals in Metro Manila on Code White.
Fr. Robert Arellano, spokesperson for the Minor Basilica and National Shrine of Jesus Nazareno, said they expect “there will be fewer” attendees today when the Nazarene is transferred through a procession from the Quirino Grandstand at Rizal Park to the Quiapo Church. Last year’s Nazareno celebration drew 8.1 million devotees.
He said it will be better for the elderly and the youth to stay at home and “pray sincerely.”
This year’s “andas” will feature a sunroof that will allow spectators from buildings to see the image during the procession while permitting natural light to shine on the Jesus Nazareno statue.
Organizers also strengthened the stainless metal components and wheels of the carriage.
Moreover, to prevent injuries, the “andas” has been modified to make it harder to climb by devotees of the Black Nazarene due to a steep and slippery feature in front of the carriage.
The Traslacion on January 9 will bring the procession of the Jesus Christ image, accompanied by millions of expected devotees, from Quirino Grandstand to Quiapo Church in Manila.
Arellano expressed hope this year’s procession will be faster and more orderly. Last year, the Jesus Nazareno image returned to Quiapo Church from Quirino Grandstand after 14 hours, 59 minutes, and 10 seconds.
State weather bureau PAGASA said devotees can expect cloudy skies, moderate to strong winds, and occasional rain during the Traslacion.
Weather specialist Benison Estareja said: “Here in Metro Manila, we’re recommending to our countrymen who will attend (the Traslacion) to bring with them umbrellas because there will be occasional rain.”
Some 18,000 police personnel have been tapped to secure the procession, while strict security measures, including gun, firecracker and liquor bans, are implemented.
A Code White Alert has also been raised in all DOH hospitals in the National Capital Region that will remain in effect until Saturday.
The DOH also encouraged children, pregnant women, senior citizens, and those with existing medical conditions to stay at home.
Devotees were advised to use hats, and to bring hand fans and towels to protect against extreme weather conditions as well as drinking water to stay hydrated and easy-to-eat food.
To ensure immediate medical response, the DOH said 20 hospitals in Metro Manila are on standby throughout the duration of the activity.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority also implemented extensive safety measures and traffic management plans with road closures and traffic rerouting enforced before and during the traditional religious activity.
MMDA Chairman Romando Artes and General Manager Nicolas Torre III earlier conducted an inspection of the Quirino Grandstand earlier in preparation for the Traslacion.
Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “DOH warns of stampede during Traslacion 2026”







