Two senators from the minority bloc voiced their frustration regarding the Senate leadership’s inadequate handling of recent events, specifically the shooting incident and the subsequent escape of Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, who faces an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court.
Sen. Erwin Tulfo on Wednesday delivered a manifestation outlining a series of probing questions aimed at clarifying the circumstances and underlying issues contributing to the chaos within the legislative body.
“First, what is the legal basis for the authorities to enter the vicinity of the Senate, if any? Second, was there formal coordination with the Senate leadership before the operation was carried out, and what was the leadership’s directive in this regard?” Tulfo said.
“Third, what specific actions prompted and became the trigger for the shooting? Was there a provocation from any side? And which agency, or which individual, was directly responsible for firing the guns… Fourth, what steps were taken to ensure the safety of senators, employees, and the media before and after the incident? And finally, what evidence was gathered to shed light on the true events?” he added.
The senator said what happened inside the upper chamber’s premises last week is deeply alarming.
“Many versions of the armed confrontation are now circulating. Statements were made that the Senate was under attack, while the Executive denies any offensive operation. Some claim that the tension was triggered by the recent changes in Senate leadership,” Tulfo said.
He cited allegations involving the Office of the Sergeant-At-Arms and the National Bureau of Investigation, as well as speculation that the shooting itself was a “smokescreen to facilitate an escape or create confusion.”
The senator said there were “even more disturbing” allegations attempting to implicate the minority bloc just because they went home earlier on the day of the shooting incident.
“On May 13, the day of the incident, at around 5:02 p.m., it (all-senators caucus) was modified to a majority-only caucus. Naturally, members of the minority who were no longer part of those internal deliberations eventually went home, Mr. President,” Tulfo said.
“To suggest that the mere fact that some senators were responsible for what later transpired just because they had already left the premises is speculative, irresponsible, and unsupported by evidence,” he added.
Meanwhile, Sen. Risa Hontiveros echoed these sentiments in her privilege speech.
“Mr. President, it’s been almost a week since the chase and shootout here in the Senate. In my heart, I have not been at peace since Monday, as what we are showing is as if nothing happened, as if our institution, our employees, and the Filipinos were not disrespected. What happened here is not a small matter, and it should not be expected to be patched up through Facebook Live, press conferences, and media interviews,” Hontiveros said.
“Let us remember, Mr. President, that we have a bicameral legislature with a Senate elected at large, precisely to have a body that can rise above parochial concerns and craft a vision for the entire nation… That is why we cannot act as though nothing happened last week,” she added.







