spot_img
29.6 C
Philippines
Monday, June 24, 2024

PNP: 6 accused in ‘sabungero’ case arrested

- Advertisement -

Six of the accused in the cases of missing cockfighting enthusiasts or “sabungeros” have been arrested in Parañaque, Philippine National Police chief Police General Benjamin Acorda said on Friday.

Members of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group arrested Julie Patidogan, Carlo Zabala, Virgilio Bayog, Roberto Matillano, Jr., Johnry Consolacion, and Gleer Codilla.

Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla previously said that “case number one” has six accused persons, including a certain Julie Patidongan. He did not give the names of the five other suspects and the names of the victims.

Earlier, the Philippine National Police had disclosed that a total of 34 “sabungeros” have been missing since 2021.

Last month, the Department of Justice vowed to proceed with the prosecution of the criminal cases involving the missing “sabungeros” despite the issuance of an affidavit of desistance by a family member of one of the victims.

“We’re not letting go of anything. The state can still continue the case even with the desistance of the families,” Remulla said, in an interview.

LATEST NEWS

Popular Articles