Advertisement

Sudden spike in virus cases normal—expert

The Department of Health (DOH) reported 2,434 additional cases of COVID-19 on Sunday afternoon, bringing the total to 44,254 cases in the Philippines.

READ: DOH to shift reporting of virus cases

In addition to the 1,147 fresh cases, 1,287 late cases were reported.

“Today's fresh cases are based on the daily accomplishment reports submitted by only 58 out of 73 current operational labs,” the DOH said.

READ: Cebu hospitals reach critical level—DOH

The DOH also reported seven new fatalities, bringing the death toll to 1,297. 

There were 489 new recoveries reported, bringing the total to 11,942. 

Expert says rise in cases 'normal'

An epidemiologist on Sunday said that the steady increase in the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country is expected due to easing up of community quarantine measures.

Dr. Rontgene Solante, the head of San Lazaro Hospital's Adult Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medine Section, said hospitals should have the capacity to attend to COVID-19 patients especially the critical cases in case of a surge of infections.

Solante added that there are more mild COVID-19 cases than severe ones now in the country. 

Churches, mosques  chosen for dry run

JUSTICE Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Sunday said some places of worship in general community quarantine areas have been selected to conduct dry runs for 10 percent of their seating capacity purportedly to determine if they could strictly implement health protocols.

“There will be pilot dry runs in a few selected churches, mosques, temples, etc. until July 10. Thereafter, 10 percent attendance in all religious worships in GCQ areas will begin. In (modified GCQ) MGCQ areas, 50 percent attendance has been allowed since July 1,” Guevarra said in a text message to reporters.

READ: Government steps up bid to test asymptomatic people

The government only permits a maximum of 10 persons to attend masses or religious gatherings in Metro Manila,which remains under general community quarantine category.

However, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases granted the request of some religious leaders to allow them to accommodate more participants in their religious activities.  

P2.5b more sought for OFW cash aid

The Labor department is seeking additional P2.5 billion to finance its cash assistance program for overseas Filipino workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Sunday said the government needs to service the needs of the increasing number of on-site and repatriated OFWs who are requesting assistance.

As of July 4, Bello said DOLE’s overseas offices and the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration recorded a total of 551,606 aid applications from both land-based and sea-based workers who are either still in host countries or have returned to the Philippines.

“The fund released to us is fast depleting. So far, our offices approved the requests of 224,756 OFWs, 128,348 of whom are still locked down or stranded in their countries of work,” the Labor chief said.

Evacuation centers need to be redesigned

Surigao del Sur Rep. Johnny Pimentel has calledon the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to produce a new template for emergency evacuation centers that will not make it easy to spread COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.

“We certainly don’t want the centers to become super spreaders of COVID-19, in the event that local governments have to move out communities threatened by storm surges or flooding,” he added.

“Clearly, our pre-pandemic temporary shelters—wherein residents are haphazardly jam-packed into school buildings and gymnasiums without adequate precautions in place—won’t work anymore.” 

Manila reports 1,382 recoveries

Some 1,382 Manila City residents have recovered from COVID-19 as of July 3, while 147 have succumbed to the disease, the Manila Public Information Office said on Sunday.

About 2,769 Manila City residents were also identified as confirmed COVID-19 cases after the Manila Health Department recorded 637 new active cases this week. 

About 564 residents were tagged as “suspects” while 8 residents were tagged as “probable.” 

Topics: COVID-19 , Department of Health , Manila , OFW , DOLE
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementGMA-Congress Trivia 1
Advertisement