Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Marcos opens CLLEX portion; Holy Week travel measures set

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Tuesday led the opening of a four-kilometer segment of the Central Luzon Link Expressway (CLLEX) in Nueva Ecija, highlighting its role in reducing travel time, lowering fuel consumption, and helping stabilize rice prices.

The government also rolled out nationwide measures to ensure safe and orderly travel during the Holy Week exodus, expected to start today (Wednesday).

- Advertisement -

Speaking at the San Juan Interchange, Mr. Marcos announced that the newly opened Aliaga–Cabanatuan section under Contract Package 4 would be toll-free until December 2026, allowing motorists, including cargo trucks, to use the road at no cost during the initial period.

The President said the new segment forms part of a developing east-west corridor connecting Tarlac province to Cabanatuan City, a key agricultural hub in Central Luzon.

He noted that travel time along the route, which previously took up to one hour and 30 minutes, would be reduced to about 20 minutes.

“With a shorter travel time, fuel consumption will also be reduced,” Mr. Marcos said.

He emphasized that improved connectivity is particularly important for Nueva Ecija, known as the country’s rice granary, as lower transport costs could help stabilize the price of rice and ease pressure on consumers.

“By reducing transportation costs, the price of rice will remain the same,” he added.

The President said the new expressway segment is expected to accommodate up to 11,500 vehicles daily, helping decongest major routes such as MacArthur Highway and improving the flow of goods and people across the region.

The CLLEX is part of the government’s broader infrastructure push to expand road networks beyond traditional north-south corridors and open up economic opportunities in eastern Luzon.

Once completed, the expressway is expected to serve as one of the region’s primary east-west highways, improving travel efficiency and supporting regional development.

President to spend Holy Week in Ilocos Norte

Courtesy: Presidential Communications Office

Mr. Marcos said he would spend part of the Holy Week in Ilocos Norte with his family but would remain actively engaged in overseeing government operations.

“For the Holy Week, I will spend a few days in Ilocos Norte. And I will be back in Manila by the weekend,” he said.

Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro clarified that the President’s trip should not be considered a vacation, stressing that he would continue monitoring developments and issuing directives to government agencies.

“For the President, the word vacation is not common,” Castro said, adding that the President would remain “on duty” throughout the period.

Holy Week is one of the most significant religious observances in the predominantly Catholic Philippines, marked by travel, family gatherings, and religious activities, often resulting in a surge of passengers across transport hubs.

Officials said the government is implementing a “whole-of-government” strategy to manage the Holy Week surge, combining infrastructure improvements, transport readiness, law enforcement, and public safety measures.

With millions expected to travel nationwide, authorities urged the public to plan, follow safety guidelines, and cooperate with government directives to ensure a smooth, safe, and meaningful observance of Holy Week.

Government prepares for surge in travelers

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) said it is working to ensure “zero obstruction” along major highways and transport hubs as millions of Filipinos travel to the provinces.

Acting Transportation Secretary Giovanni Lopez said the agency is coordinating with the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), and the Philippine National Police (PNP) to keep roads clear and respond quickly to incidents.

“Usually, ang ating expressway lang ang parating masasabi natin na safe. Pero ngayon, ang utos ng ating Pangulo, we have to extend this also to the entire… kahabaan ng ating highway dito papuntang norte at papuntang south end,” Lopez said.

Authorities are set to remove illegally parked vehicles and deploy response teams to assist stranded motorists.

Lopez said airports, seaports, and land terminals are ready to handle the expected influx, with daily passenger traffic at Ninoy Aquino International Airport projected to reach 150,000.

The Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange (PITX) expects about 3 million travelers from March 28 to Easter Sunday, while seaports nationwide are preparing for around 2.6 million passengers.

The Philippine Coast Guard has deployed about 17,000 personnel on full alert, with vessels pre-positioned in high-traffic areas such as Batangas, Marinduque, and Calapan to assist stranded passengers.

Overall, the DOTr estimates that at least 5 million passengers will pass through transport hubs during the long weekend.

Rail operations, including LRT-1, LRT-2, and MRT-3, will be suspended from Maundy Thursday to Easter Sunday for annual maintenance, but the EDSA Busway and other transport services will continue operating.

To ensure sufficient transport supply, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has issued 1,297 special permits to bus operators and may grant additional permits if needed.

Ramp at the newly opened Central Luzon Expressway (CLLEX) project in Nueva Ecija. (Courtesy: Presidential Communications Office)

Lopez said the government also worked with bus companies to maintain operations despite rising fuel costs, supported by subsidies and coordination efforts.

911 hotline, security forces on full alert

Interior Secretary Juanito Victor Remulla urged the public to remain vigilant and use the 911 hotline in case of emergencies, assuring that all government agencies are ready to respond.

“I cannot emphasize this enough. To all travelers, if there is an emergency, call 911. Our police force and all government agencies are ready to respond,” Remulla said.

The unified emergency hotline handles between 60,000 and 80,000 calls daily and maintains a response time of five minutes or less, he added.

The PNP has been placed on full alert status from March 31 to April 5, deploying 98,636 personnel, supported by over 12,000 augmentation units and more than 37,000 force multipliers nationwide.

Remulla said strong coordination among national agencies, local government units, and community responders is in place to ensure a safe and orderly observance of Holy Week.

Expressways, terminals implement contingency measures

SMC Infrastructure said it has implemented a traffic and safety plan across its expressway network, including the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX), Skyway System, NAIA Expressway, STAR Tollway, and Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX).

Roadworks have been suspended from March 28 to April 5 to minimize disruptions, while emergency response teams have been deployed to key areas.

Motorists were advised to observe speed limits and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before traveling.

To reduce congestion at toll plazas, SMC encouraged motorists to use the Autosweep electronic toll collection system, which allows real-time monitoring and flexible reloading options.

At the Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange (PITX), operators said the terminal remains fully operational and resilient, powered entirely by renewable geothermal energy.

PITX Chief operating officer Mohit Malhi said contingency measures, including backup systems and enhanced passenger support, are in place to ensure uninterrupted service.

“Our operations are anchored on stability and sustainability,” Malhi said.

PITX is also promoting electric mobility through its Xpress EV system, offering commuters a cleaner transport option.

Authorities warn against road rage, unsafe behavior

The LTFRB called on motorists and public utility drivers to exercise discipline and avoid road rage during long trips.

Chairperson Vigor Mendoza II reminded drivers that they are responsible for passenger safety and must remain calm despite traffic and rising fuel costs.

“Learn from the lessons of road rage incidents in the past. It will do no good and ruin your day,” Mendoza said.

Meanwhile, Remulla warned travelers against swimming under the influence of alcohol, citing data that alcohol-related incidents are a leading cause of fatalities during Holy Week.

“An additional reminder to all travelers, the number one cause of fatalities during Holy Week is public intoxication in beach areas,” he said.

Authorities emphasized that enforcement efforts will focus on prevention and guidance, with police and coast guard personnel deployed across beaches and tourist destinations.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img