PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Tuesday rolled out the nationwide fuel subsidy program for public utility vehicles (PUVs) in a bid to cushion the impact of volatile global oil prices on commuters and transport operators.
Meanwhile, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said it will reduce airport and seaport terminal fees starting next month to help passengers and airlines absorb the impact of skyrocketing fuel prices.
In a related development, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced that fuel tankers and vehicles transporting essential goods are now exempt from the truck ban and the number coding scheme.
At the same time, the MMDA) said it was ready to deploy free shuttle services if needed during a planned transport strike on March 20 and 26.
Speaking at the Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange, Mr. Marcos said the government will provide P10,000 in fuel subsidy for each bus unit, with distribution beginning immediately across the country.
The President said the program seeks to minimize fare increases and ease the burden on commuters amid rising fuel costs.
“They won’t feel too burdened by the fare because, as we all know what’s happening — oil prices are changing all over the world,” he said.
The subsidy may be accessed through multiple payment channels, including digital platforms such as e-wallets, automated teller machines, and government-issued cards.
Mr. Marcos said non-digital options, including checks and cash, will remain available for beneficiaries who prefer them, but encouraged operators and drivers to shift to digital payments for efficiency and convenience.
The initiative is being implemented with support from the Department of Transportation, which briefed the President on the system’s rollout and facilities at the transport hub.
Mr. Marcos called for cooperation among government agencies, transport operators, and drivers to ensure the program’s success, stressing the need for a responsive system as fuel prices continue to fluctuate.
“Tell us if there’s a problem or if there’s a better system… so it can be faster and more convenient,” the President said.
Mr. Marcos earlier led the distribution of fuel subsidies to tricycle drivers, expanding the program to include smaller public transport operators among those most vulnerable to rising fuel costs.
Transport Secretary Giovanni Lopez said terminal fees for airports operated by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) will be reduced by P200 starting April 1, 2026. Additionally, airport fees—including landing and terminal charges—will be lowered by as much as P5,000.
Lopez said the fee reductions will be in effect for three months, after which they will be subject to review.
According to Lopez, these reductions aim to support passengers and airlines while stabilizing airfares amid rising jet fuel prices.
Data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) showed that jet fuel prices surged by 118.8 percent to $197 per barrel as of March 20, compared to the same period last year. In response to these rising costs, the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) authorized airlines to hike the fuel surcharge from Level 4 to Level 8.
Under Level 8, the fuel surcharge for domestic flights ranges from P253 and P787, depending on the distance, while for international flights, the fuel surcharge may range from P835.05 and P6,208.98
Lopez also said that the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) will implement the “Piso RoRo” initiative starting April 15, 2026. Under this program, terminal fees for Class 3 and Class 4 vehicles transporting agricultural products will be reduced to just P1 from P516.
He said that this measure aims to lower logistics costs for shipping lines and businesses, ultimately helping stabilize the prices of basic commodities amid rising fuel expenses.
Lopez said the reduced roll on-roll off terminal fees will be in effect for six months.
The Metro Manila Council (MMC) came up with a resolution granting the proposed exemptions to ensure a continuous supply of fuel and essential commodities in the National Capital Region.
The MMC, consisting of the 17 mayors from the NCR, serves as the policy-making body and governing board of the MMDA.
MMDA general manager Nicolas Torre III said the decision allows fuel tankers transporting petroleum products to operate freely on major roads without the risk of being apprehended under existing traffic restrictions.
Torre said purpose of the exemption was “to guarantee the uninterrupted and efficient delivery of fuel to gasoline stations, which are vital for transportation, logistics, and economic activities.”
Previously, fuel tankers were restricted by the truck ban during peak hours and the number coding scheme, which limited vehicle movement based on their license plate numbers.
The new policy is anticipated to enhance fuel supply stability and diminish the likelihood of shortages.
The MMDA stated that the initiative is part of the government’s broader strategy to alleviate the effects of ongoing challenges related to oil, including volatile global prices and supply issues that have impacted fuel availability and costs in the country.







