Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

5 Filipinos held as prisoners in Ukraine–DFA

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday said five Filipinos who allegedly served as mercenaries for Russia are now being held as prisoners of war in Ukraine, adding that the government is in talks with Ukrainian authorities regarding their status.

In a chance interview with reporters, DFA spokesperson Angelica Escalona explained that repatriating them is “complicated” because the Philippines is not a party to the conflict in Ukraine.

- Advertisement -

She noted that their return depends on agreements between Russia and Ukraine.

“We are requesting their assistance for our fellow Filipinos. If you listen to one of the interviews, this is a complicated process because the Philippines is not a party to the conflict, so the return and repatriation of prisoners of war would depend on the agreement of the parties in conflict,” she said.

“Even access to the prisoners of war is governed by international law and the policies of the detaining state. It is not a straightforward repatriation,” she added.

This statement follows the DFA’s confirmation on Tuesday that five other Filipinos who served as mercenaries for Russia are also being held as prisoners of war in Ukraine.

Escalona did not disclose further details but said five Filipinos are seeking assistance from the department.

She clarified that these five are separate from the two previously reported Filipinos who served as mercenaries, one of whom has died.

“We cannot share the details because of the request of the family. Five families approached us for assistance,” Escalona said.

The DFA spokesperson also reiterated the warning to Filipino nationals against joining foreign armed forces, citing serious legal risks and the potential loss of citizenship.

On February 11, the DFA advised Filipinos to confirm job offers, recruitment agencies, and employers with the Department of Migrant Workers and to remain vigilant against illegal or misleading recruitment practices.

This advisory followed reports from Ukraine’s military intelligence in late January stating that a Filipino named John Patrick was killed near Novoselivka in Donetsk while fighting with Russian forces.

Additionally, on February 3, reports indicated that a Filipino identified as Raymon Gumangan is now a prisoner of war in Ukraine after allegedly fighting for Russia.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img