Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Iran says no plan for new UStalks, mutes impact of strikes

The most serious conflict yet between Israel and Iran derailed nuclear talks between Iran and the United States, but President Donald Trump said Washington would hold discussions with Tehran next week, with his special envoy Steve Witkoff expressing hope “for a comprehensive peace agreement”.

But Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi shut down what he said was “speculation” that Tehran would come to the table and said it “should not be taken seriously”.

- Advertisement -

“I would like to state clearly that no agreement, arrangement or conversation has been made to start new negotiations,” he said on state television. “No plan has been set yet to start negotiations.”

Araghchi’s denial came as Iranian lawmakers passed a “binding” bill suspending cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog and after supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei accused Trump of exaggerating the impact of US strikes on Iranian nuclear sites.

In a televised speech — his first appearance since a ceasefire in the war with Israel — Khamenei hailed what he described as Iran’s “victory” over Israel, vowed never to yield to US pressure and insisted Washington had been dealt a humiliating “slap”.

“The American president exaggerated events in unusual ways, and it turned out that he needed this exaggeration,” Khamenei said, rejecting US claims Iran’s nuclear program had been set back by decades.

The strikes, he insisted, had done “nothing significant” to Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. Araghchi, for his part, called the damage “serious” and said a detailed assessment was under way.

Trump said key facilities, including the underground Fordo uranium enrichment site, had been “obliterated” by American B-2 bombers.

Doubts remain about whether Iran quietly removed some 400 kilogram of enriched uranium from its most sensitive sites before the strikes — potentially hiding nuclear material elsewhere in the country.

But posting on his Truth Social platform, Trump dismissed such speculation, saying: “Nothing was taken out… too dangerous, and very heavy and hard to move!”

He added that satellite images showed trucks at the site only because Iranian crews were attempting to shield the facility with concrete.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img