There is a proper forum that can tackle alleged breaches of ethics that may have taken place from within the Philippine Olympic Committee family.
The election committee said this after it turned down a protest and an appeal to disqualify candidates who are running for positions in the coming election of the Philippine Olympic Committee this Friday.
This means that there will be no stopping the bids of POC president Abraham Tolentino of cycling, along with gymnastics chief Cynthia Carrion, Tom Carrasco of triathlon, board member Raul Canlas (surfing) and Dave Carter (judo).
“Specifically, those protesting really accuse the four candidates covered by this issue of alleged ethical breaches of conduct which have yet to be resolved. In which case, the POC bylaws appear to provide that the appropriate forum to resolve these allegations is either the standing commission on ethics, the executive board and the general assembly,” said the election body, which is headed atty. Teodoro Kalaw IV.
The elecom said that there is no reference in the rules which grants the body the power to resolve said allegations.
The group supporting Aranas’ bid for the presidency has sent letters seeking the disqualification of Tolentino and five other sports officials before the elecom earlier this week.
With protests thrown out, the elecom said the certified list of candidates that was sent out last Oct. 31 is now considered as final.
Tolentino is again running for president while Carrion seeks the post of treasurer. Carrasco is batting to become chairman again, while Canlas and Carter are looking for slots in the board.
In a letter signed by nine sports officials who are supporting Aranas, it was alleged that Tolentino and Carrion violated the POC charter by receiving compensations from the Philippine SEA Games Organizing Committee during the run-up to the SEA Games.
It was alleged that Tolentino received a monthly compensation of more than P81,000 in the course of helping organize the games with the PHISGOC.
As for Carrasco, Aranas pointed out that he does not meet the four-year eligibility rule in running for POC chairman, and because he has only been president of the Triathlon Association of the Philippines for the last two years. Peter Atencio
As for Carter, doubts were raised on the status of judo as a regular member, following the suspension and revocation of registration with the Securities and Exchange Commission since 2017.
Inquiries on the eligibility of Canlas were also put forward because he reportedly has been president of the United Philippines Surfing Association for the last 11 months.
And this is below the four-year eligibility requirement.
Tolentino’s ticket also includes Al Panlilio, who as president of Smart Communications and Chief Revenue Officer of PLDT, is seeking the post of first vice president.
Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez, who is the president of the fencing and the modern pentathlon federation, is batting to become second vice president.
Baseball’s Chito Loyzaga will run as auditor. Named in his list of board members are muay secretary general Pearl Managuelod, Surigao rep. (first district) Prospero Pichay Jr., as president of National Chess Federation of the Philippines, is also in Tolentino’s lineup for board member.
On the other hand, archery chief Aranas will seek the presidency opposite Tolentino.
Handball president Steve Hontiveros will again seek the post chairman, while Juico and rugby president Ada Milby will also run for first vice president and second VP, respectively.
Wushu chief Julian Camacho has joined Aranas’ group, and will seek the post of treasurer once again, with Robert Bachmann (squash) as part of the board of directors.
Also going for the post of directors are atty. Charlie Ho (netball) and Robert Mananquil (billiards).
Their group has adopted Milby, who will run as an independent candidate.
Monico Puentevella (weightlifting) is seeking the post of auditor.