Thanks to the Philippine Sports Commission, Tokyo Olympics-bound gymnast Carlos Yulo will be able to continue training five times a week.
Gymnastics Association of the Philippines president Cynthia Carrion said this, now that more help and financial assistance is given the 20-year-old Yulo.
The release of P2 million from the Philippine Sports Commission will help Yulo keep on availing of two training halls for his workouts in Japan.
“One training hall is available for Caloy for three times a week and the other one can be used two times a week. Now, he can keep on training for five times a week,” explained Carrion.
The assistance was approved in a PSA board meeting Friday. It was part of a P4.2-million request being allocated to the GAP.
Carrion earlier lamented that there was a delay in the release of the budget.
Officials explained that the delays were the result of changes in the Philippine Sports Commission’s payroll and administration system.
The agency began imposing strict measures in its financial structure involving national athletes and coaches, and their employees this week.
This was put in place after a PSC employee identified as Paul Michael Padua Ignacio was arrested last month by the National Bureau of Investigation for his involvement in a payroll-padding scheme amounting to P14 million.
“We issued an advisory to the national team to advise them of the delay and the cause of it. We understand that with the crisis raging, the delay is very stressful, but the corrections were also needed,” said National Training Director Marc Velasco.
Earlier, the Manny V. Pangilinan Sports Foundation has also reached out to Yulo with an additional funding of P800,000.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.