Boxers Eumir Marcial and Irish Magno will only be allowed to do workouts when the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex is finally reopened.
Officer-in-Charge Ramon Fernandez said this is what is being worked out following the Philippine Sports Commission’s joint meeting with Games and Amusements Board and the Department of Health last week.
The talks centered on the need of Olympic qualifiers to resume their training, together with those who are still to earn qualification slots.
Because of existing protocols on physical distancing, the athletes can’t be allowed to spar yet.
“May physical distancing protocols na mahigpit na susundin. We will still continue our talks and identify the facilities that can be used for training,” said Fernandez.
The meeting mapped out the protocols that will be observed by athletes and this will be sent to the Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases for approval.
Marcial has been training for the last four months in Imus, Cavite, while Magno is back in Baguio for her own series of preparations.
There are around 60 members of the national team who are still finding out if they can make it to the Tokyo Olympics.
Of this, there are seven national sports associations that are serious pursuing efforts to claim qualification berths to the Tokyo Olympics.
Since the lockdown started last March 15, the 24-year-old Marcial has been getting in shape through shadow boxing and exercises inside his home and with whatever available he has.
Because he has no equipment available, he cannot get far with his preparations.
On the other hand, Magno is able to train with other members of the national squad in Baguio City.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.