THE court will decide on Thursday if it will issue or not a temporary restraining order which will stop the elections of the Philippine Olympic Committee on Friday.
Judge Elma Lingan of Pasig Regional Trial Court Branch 159 said this after she heard from the camp of boxing chief Ricky Vargas and the legal counsel of the Philippine Olympic Committee, Atty. Ramon Malinao.
Lingan directed both sides to submit their position papers on Wednesday.
Vargas spokesman Chito Salud said that the legal arguments centered on the correct interpretation of the eligibility requirement of being an active member of the POC.
Last month, the election panel of the POC, headed by Frank Elizalde, denied Vargas’ motion for reconsideration, and disqualified another candidate, triathlon’s Tom Carrasco from his bid to seek another term as chairman.
The position of chairman remains uncontested because Carrasco’s main rival for the post, Tagaytay congressman Abraham Tolentino of cycling was also disqualified.
Both Vargas and Tolentino were present at the hearing.
They are optimistic that the court has been sufficiently enlightened, according to Salud.
In a resolution sent to all parties concerned, Elizalde explained that physical attendance was main requirement for an official of a national sports association to be made eligible to run for a post in the POC elections.