Advertisement

Gov’t targets to complete inoculating 1.2M minors by Dec.

The government aims to complete the vaccination of minors by December this year to protect them from severe COVID-19 infection, vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said Monday night during President Rodrigo Duterte's “Talk to the People” briefing.

Children enjoy playing at an outdoor playground at the Quezon City Memorial Park on October 26, 2021, more than a year after being restricted to their homes due to the COVID-19 lockdowns. The government aims to finish inoculating the target population for minors with comorbidities aged 12 to 17 nationwide. Manny Palmero
The Department of Health reported there were around 1.2 million children with comorbidities aged 12 to 17 years old nationwide who would be inoculated during the period.

Local government units in the National Capital Region have started vaccination of minors with comorbidities last week.

Galvez said this would help recover the lost time of children after almost two years being restricted at home.

Quoting psychologists, Galvez said around 300 percent to 400 percent of children were suffering from depression, pointing out that the government is seeking to inoculate 90 percent of teachers, students and personnel in schools before the end of November.

Local government units must also ramp up their first dosage to 70 percent by the end of November, he said.

The vaccine czar, meanwhile, said they were expecting to achieve 100 million doses of vaccines this October as 3 million more doses were expected to be delivered this week.

Based on his data, the Philippines received over 97,678,340 of various vaccines since its inoculation program began in March.

Topics: Carlito Galvez Jr , COVID-19 , Minors , National Capital Region
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement