Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Sotto says majority bloc remains solid behind him

Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Monday dismissed speculation about a possible leadership change in the chamber, saying such rumors were nothing new.

“I serve at the pleasure of my colleagues. Since the 8th Congress up to now, Senate leadership has always been that way. It depends on my colleagues,” he said. 

- Advertisement -

Talk of an alleged move to unseat Sotto circulated anews on social media over the weekend, fueling questions about the stability of the majority bloc.

Sotto assured that the 15-member majority coalition remains intact, but he is prepared for any leadership challenge he may face. 

Senator Erwin Tulfo said he was unaware of any initiative to remove Sotto and that he had only seen unverified claims online.

Senate Deputy Majority Leader JV Ejercito also said he had not been approached regarding any leadership change. 

“If there is any plan, I would be informed late, as a courtesy to the leadership because I’m part of it,” he said. 

Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano likewise downplayed the rumors, saying there were not enough votes to oust the Senate president.

Sotto assumed the Senate presidency in September 2025, succeeding Senator Francis Escudero.

Meanwhile, the Senate on Monday elected Mark Llandro Mendoza as secretary and retired Maj. Gen. Edgardo Rene Samonte as sergeant-at-arms.

Mendoza previously served as presidential adviser on legislative affairs and head of the Presidential Legislative Liaison Office, as well as secretary general and member of the House of Representatives.

Samonte, who earlier held the sergeant-at-arms post in 2019, will oversee security and order in the Senate.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img