SENATOR Risa Hontiveros on Monday said the Chinese embassy was acting “like a child throwing tantrums” and “disturbingly similar to paid media trolls” in its word war with Philippine officials.
Hontiveros made the observation in her remarks at the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines as the Senate resumed sessions for 2026 amid escalating diplomatic squabble between Manila and Beijing.
Hontiveros said recent statements from the Chinese embassy in Manila directed at Filipino public officials were unusually aggressive and fell short of accepted diplomatic standards.
“They were grossly undiplomatic. Not only did they resemble a child throwing tantrums; they sounded disturbingly similar to paid social media trolls,” she said.
The tone and messaging of the embassy’s pronouncements, according to the senator, echoed the hostile and misleading narratives commonly seen on social media platforms.
She expressed concern that content posted on the embassy’s official Facebook page could be linked to a broader network of misinformation and disinformation targeting Filipinos who criticize Beijing’s actions in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).
Hontiveros pointed out that the Armed Forces of the Philippines in the past has repeatedly warned about foreign influence seeking to reshape public opinion through these platforms.
“We see posts that downplay, dismiss, or outright deny the harassment and intimidation experienced by our own Navy, Coast Guard, and fisherfolk. We see a growing number of social media pages relentlessly amplifying Chinese government propaganda,” Hontiveros noted.
She said these efforts appear designed to sow division among Filipinos, weaken national resolve and undermine the country’s sense of dignity and sovereignty.
Later in the day, the Senate also witnessed a tense exchange of words between Senators Francis Pangilinan and Rodante Marcoleta during interpellations on a resolution condemning recent statements by the Chinese embassy against Philippine officials and institutions.
The debate unfolded as lawmakers discussed Senate Resolution No. 256, which seeks to formally denounce the embassy’s remarks and reaffirm the country’s sovereign rights over the WPS.
Marcoleta raised concerns about the absence of specific coordinates defining the extent of the WPS being asserted by the Philippines, saying clarity was necessary to determine the scope of the country’s claims.
Pangilinan countered that the country’s rights in the disputed waters had already been affirmed by an international arbitral tribunal and did not require redefinition.
“There’s nothing to defend. It has been resolved in our favor. What we have to now is to defend and uphold the ruling,” he stressed.
The Senate suspended debates on Resolution No. 256 and will resume discussions on Tuesday.







