The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said 300 candidates for the upcoming Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE) are “ripe for disqualification.”
Earlier, the Comelec said it issued show-cause orders against more than 5,000 BSKE candidates for the upcoming October 30 elections.
Comelec chairperson George Garcia confirmed the issuance of show-cause orders, adding that 1,000 candidates had already responded.
“We’ve issued around 5,200 show cause orders and more than 1,000 candidates have already responded. Based on the initial statement, about 300 out of the said candidates are ripe for disqualification,” Garcia said in an interview with Super Radyo dzBB.
The Comele Anti-Epal Task Force has also filed 82 petitions for disqualification as of October 6, with charges filed against 10 for alleged vote-buying.
Garcia said that the disqualification cases will be decided before election day comes.
About 300 complaints have been dropped by the commission because of a lack of factual basis.