Authorities on Tuesday advised motorists to brace for heavy traffic in the eastern part of Metro Manila beginning next month as the Marcos bridge along Marcos Highway is set to be rehabilitated for eight months.
“Starting Saturday, May 4 at 11 p.m., we are going to close the eastbound portion of the Marcos Bridge until the next four months,” said Metro Manila Development Authority general manager Jose Arturo Garcia Jr.
He said the bridge’s rehabilitation is long overdue, citing that private contractors have been requesting for the schedule of the repair since last year.
Vehicles going to Antipolo could take the westbound direction while vehicles to Cubao in Quezon City could use the service road in front of SM Marikina Mall.
Private contractors of the Department of Public Works and Highways will work on the other direction after four months, Garcia said. Joel E. Zurbano
A challenge in the bridge’s closure, Garcia noted, are trucks passing the bridge prompting the agency to adjust the truck ban hours to 6 am-10 am from the existing 7 am- 10 am.
To guide motorists, signage were already installed along Marcos Highway. At least 3,000 vehicles are traversing the road per hour.