A militant lawmaker on Wednesday claimed victory following the conclusion of the joint congressional investigation on the seven allegedly questionable power supply agreement applications before the Energy Regulatory Commission.
Speaking to reporters, Bayan Muna Party-list Rep. Carlos Zarate said that the possible violations ERC committed in the handling of the Manila Electric Company-linked PSAs would not have come to light if the matter did not go through the scrutiny of the House.
“In a way, I think we achieved one of our main objectives: to raise this issue [through congressional hearings]. The Filipino consumers were not aware of this issue until we brought it to their consciousness. Meralco appeared to be untouchable then… But because of the committee hearings, everything came out,” Zarate said.
Since last year, the House joint House committees on good government and public accountability and on energy, chaired by Reps. Johnny Pimentel of Surigao del Sur and Lord Allan Jay Velasco of Marinduque, has probed the seven pending PSAs between Meralco and its suppliers.