Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

AMLC files 3 civil forfeiture cases; David leaves post

The Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) said Wednesday it filed three petitions for civil forfeiture before the Manila Regional Trial Court, covering properties owned by individuals and entities previously placed under freeze orders by the Court of Appeals.

Following these petitions, the AMLC said the Regional Trial Court has issued two provisional asset preservation orders to safeguard the monetary instruments and properties involved while awaiting final judgment.

- Advertisement -

Meanwhile, AMLC Executive Director Atty. Matthew M. David, who was appointed in 2022, has requested a transfer to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). The AMLC said Arnold Kabanlit has been designated as officer-in-charge as the agency looks for a new executive director. The AMLC did not say why David requested to be transferred from his post.

“The filing of civil forfeiture cases is the final step to ensure the recovery of illicit proceeds linked to flood control project anomalies. The action marks the first of several petitions to be filed, all aimed at recovering funds tied to corrupt practices involving flood control projects,” the AMLC said in a statement.

The council added that the cases involving the flood control projects scandal are complex due to the volume and breadth of records. These include numerous entities, interconnected accounts, and a wide range of assets placed under investigation.

Given the scale and intricacy of the data, the AMLC said it is proceeding with deliberate care to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all evidence.

“This is essential not only to uphold the integrity of the investigation but also to ensure that the cases, once filed, are supported by robust and admissible evidence capable of withstanding judicial scrutiny,” it said.

The AMLC has yet to disclose the identities of the individuals and entities covered by the petitions.

But media reports have identified former DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan, the late Undersecretary Catalina Cabral and her children, resigned Rep. Eric Yap and his brother Rep. Edvic Yap, dismissed DPWH officials Henry Alcantara and Bryce Hernandez, an Engineer Mendoza, and contractor Sally Santos as among those whose accounts have been frozen.

The first freeze order issued by the Court of Appeals last September covered 135 bank accounts and 27 insurance policies of individuals and corporations.

By the end of September, the AMLC said the total value of frozen assets stood at P2.9 billion.

By last December, the AMLC said the Court of Appeals had issued freeze orders on 4,679 bank accounts, 283 insurance policies, 255 motor vehicles, 178 real properties, 16 e-wallet accounts, and three securities accounts, with a total value of P13 billion.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img