Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. has filed separate cyberlibel complaints against former Ako Bicol Party-list representative Zaldy Co, Atty. Levito “Levi” Baligod, and 18 alleged former Philippine Marines.
The complaints were filed Thursday before the Makati City Prosecutor’s Office.
Tiu Laurel said the cases stem from what he described as false accusations linking him to irregularities in agricultural importation and to alleged involvement of First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos.
“What they are saying against me are all lies, fiction,” he said.
As of posting, Baligod, Co, and the so-called “Baligod 18” have yet to issue a response to the charges.
The secretary explained that while he had earlier announced plans to sue Co, he only recently had time to file all complaints at once.
“I first filed against a group led by Baligod and his 18 marines/puppets, then second against Zaldy Co. I made a statement about Zaldy Co a few months ago. Only now did I have time to file, so I submitted them all at once,” he said.
Tiu Laurel said the accusations had gone beyond acceptable limits.
“They have gone too far. I had to fight back because they had crossed the line,” he said.
He also denied claims that money-filled luggage from his former residence in Forbes Park was being distributed.
“First, I have not lived there since 2018. I live in another place in Makati, not in that village at all. So that’s completely false. I don’t know any of those 18. So yan pa lang, palpak na. Sabi nila hindi naman daw ako ang binibigyan ng maleta, ako yung nagbibigay ng pera,” he said.
(They said I wasn’t the one being given the suitcase — I was the one giving the money [in the suitcases]).
Tiu Laurel clarified that he has no personal relationship with Co, saying they only interacted over disputed requests for commodity imports, which he rejected.
“He is not my friend. In fact, (Co) is my adversary,” he said, adding that any claim linking them is false.
The DA chief warned that the allegations could undermine public confidence in the agriculture sector, reiterating that he has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
Baligod and the 18 men he is representing are already facing multiple criminal complaints — specifically perjury and cyberlibel — filed by several parties.
The complainants include party-list Rep. Leila de Lima, Fr. Flaviano Villanueva, and Bureau of Corrections chief Gregorio Catapang for perjury, and the same three personalities plus former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV and National Security Adviser Eduardo Año for cyberlibel.







