Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Gov’t working to bring back Co from Portugal

PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said the Philippine government is working with Portuguese authorities to bring back former Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co, who is facing graft and malversation charges linked to alleged irregularities in infrastructure projects.

“We have already issued a red notice to Interpol and our coordination with the Portuguese authorities continues to bring him home,” the President said.

- Advertisement -

Mr. Marcos also said the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) has largely completed its mandate and is preparing to submit its findings to investigative bodies.

Speaking to reporters, the President explained that Philippine authorities cannot simply apprehend Co abroad because domestic law enforcement has no jurisdiction in other countries.

“You cannot bring him home because that’s just not the way it works. We have to ask the assistance of the country where he is in, which is presently Portugal,” Mr. Marcos said.

The President also said the government has already requested the issuance of a red notice through Interpol and continues to coordinate with Portuguese authorities for Co’s repatriation.

“And that’s the process. You do not send your own police to go and pick him up because we do not have police jurisdiction in other countries. So, they cannot arrest anyone. So, it will have to be with the assistance of the host country,” Mr. Marcos added.

Co served as a representative of the Ako Bicol party-list group from 2019 until his resignation in September 2025. He also previously chaired the powerful House Committee on Appropriations and is a businessman who heads the Sunwest Group of Companies.

Authorities have linked Co to alleged irregularities involving a P289-million road dike project in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro, which led to graft and malversation charges filed against him.

The Sandiganbayan has declared Co a fugitive from justice, prompting the government to seek international assistance for his arrest and return to the Philippines.

Officials earlier said Co may be in Portugal and could possibly be holding a Portuguese passport, which may complicate efforts to bring him back to the Philippines.

The government has since cancelled Co’s Philippine passport and asked international law enforcement authorities to help locate him.

Mr. Marcos said the ICI is currently consolidating its findings and preparing its final report after determining that much of its assigned work has already been finished.

“Well, right now what the ICI is doing is that they are collating all of their findings. They are also writing their final report,” Mr. Marcos said.

The President added that the next step will be to forward the commission’s findings to appropriate authorities for possible legal action.

“And the next part of this process is that they will send that information, they will send it to DOJ and the Ombudsman, depending on which is the appropriate body,” he said.

The President said the government will assess what role, if any, the commission may still play after completing its report.

“Now, what will happen afterwards is, let us see what else they can do but for now their brief has already been fulfilled,” he said.

The ICI was created to review and investigate issues related to major infrastructure programs, including the anomalous “ghost” flood control projects, and recommend appropriate action based on its findings.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img