Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

PBBM to raise Mideast concerns at UNGA in New York

The Philippines is expected to discuss developments in the Middle East during President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s address next week at the United Nations General Assembly in New York City as tensions in the region continue to concern the international community.

Department of Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Angelica Escalona said Friday that while she could not preempt the President’s remarks, global and regional developments—particularly those affecting Filipinos—would likely be part of the discussions.

- Advertisement -

“I cannot preempt what the President will say but definitely pag-uusapan ang international developments, regional developments at iyong mga bagay na makakaapekto sa ating mga mamamayan,” Escalona said in a briefing.

Mr. Marcos is scheduled to attend the UNGA meeting on March 9 and 10, with global attention focused on worsening tensions in the Middle East and their broader geopolitical implications.

Escalona also said the President will not meet with American President Donald Trump during his stay in the United States.The president’s visit will center on his participation in the 70th session of the Commission on the Status of Women and a special session of the United Nations General Assembly.

The DFA official said Manila is closely monitoring developments in the region, especially given the large number of Filipinos working there.

She was also asked about an earlier statement by Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez that US President Donald Trump had invited the Philippines to join a proposed “Board of Peace” initiative linked to efforts addressing the Middle East situation.

Escalona said the government is still studying the proposal.

Earlier this week, Mr. Marcos expressed support for international calls for a ceasefire in the ongoing conflict, stressing the Philippines’ concern for its citizens in the region.

“We are not a party to any of this. Of course, we want the fighting to stop… if it will help, let’s hope that there is a ceasefire,” the President said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img