Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Inter-agency cooperation key in breaking alleged spy network

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Thursday underscored the importance of inter-agency cooperation following the dismantling of an alleged espionage network operating in the country.

AFP spokesperson Francel Margareth Padilla said the disruption of the network—believed to involve Filipino nationals and linked to foreign-directed activities—was made possible through coordinated action among government security and law enforcement agencies.

- Advertisement -

“This development highlights how modern espionage increasingly utilizes cyber and technological methods, making vigilance and inter-agency cooperation more important than ever,” Padilla said.

In a separate statement released Wednesday night, the National Security Council said authorities had “addressed and terminated” operations carried out at the alleged behest of Chinese intelligence.

The NSC described the case as a serious national security matter but declined to disclose further details, including the identities of those involved, methods used, or the timeline of the investigation.

“All individuals concerned are Filipino nationals who have confessed their complicity in espionage activities and are cooperating with authorities,” the council said.

The alleged espionage activities come amid continuing tensions between the Philippines and China over disputed areas of the South China Sea, where vessels from both countries have clashed in recent years.

China claims nearly the entire South China Sea despite overlapping claims from several countries, including the Philippines, and a 2016 international ruling that found Beijing’s sweeping claim had no legal basis.

The NSC statement cited a report by Rappler that said suspected Chinese handlers had attempted to obtain information about Philippine maritime deployments and resupply missions in the contested waters.

Authorities have also reported several espionage-related arrests in recent years.

In April last year, a Chinese national was apprehended near the offices of the Commission on Elections while allegedly operating an IMSI catcher, a device capable of mimicking a cell tower to intercept mobile communications within a radius of up to three kilometers.

In February 2025, two other Chinese nationals were detained for allegedly using a similar device while driving near sensitive government and military facilities in Manila.

Despite the investigation, the AFP said the Philippines continues to pursue constructive diplomatic engagement with all countries while strengthening safeguards to protect national security. —With Agence France Presse

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img