THE highest-ranking leader of the Communist Party of the Philippines–New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) in Negros Island was among two rebels killed in clashes with government troops in Binalbagan, Negros Occidental, the Philippine Army said on Sunday.
In another incident, two other alleged NPA members were killed in an encounter with soldiers of the 47th Infantry Battalion in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, on Saturday, Jan. 31. The fatalities remained unidentified, Dumosmog said.
Brig. Gen. Ted Dumosmog, commander of the 303rd Infantry Brigade, identified the fatality as Reynaldo Erecre, alias Amik, secretary of the CPP-NPA’s Komiteng Rehiyon–Negros.
Erecre was killed on Friday, Jan.3, in a clash with soldiers of the 94th Infantry Battalion in Barangay Bi-ao, Dumosmog said.
“That’s a major blow to the rebel movement,” he added.
Erecre’s sister was set to claim his remains on Sunday afternoon, pending verification of her identity, he said.
The Army was also coordinating with the deceased’s brother Roy for further confirmation.
Roy, also a former National Democratic Front consultant, surrendered to Bohol Gov. Erico Aristotle Aumentado in November 2025, Dumosmog said.
Earlier on Jan. 30, another alleged NPA member identified as Regie Pacheco alias Dante, was killed in an encounter in Barangay Bi-ao.
Pacheco was tagged as a finance and logistics officer and a member of the Regional Strike Force of the NPA’s Central Negros 2.
According to a 94th Infantry Battalion report, the shootout incidentally thwarted an attempt by the insurgents to sabotage government infrastructure projects in the area.
The rebels allegedly planned to burn heavy equipment being used for ongoing development work, but troops acted on timely information provided by local residents.
The Army said the 47th IB launched focused military operations after receiving reports from residents of Barangays Sandayao and Binobohan about the presence of armed rebels.
The operation resulted in an encounter, the deaths of the two suspects, and the recovery of an M-16 rifle, a .45-caliber pistol, a hand grenade, ammunition, and assorted subversive documents.
Maj. Gen. Michael Samson, chief of the 3rd Infantry Division, urged the NPA holdouts to abandon their armed struggle and avail themselves of the government’s reintegration programs.
“Through these initiatives, you can avoid misfortune and death, reconcile with your families, and experience full healing within the community that has always cared for you,” Samson said.







