The Office of the Ombudsman on Thursday dismissed the petition filed by resigned Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Zaldy Co before the Supreme Court (SC) as a delaying move meant to derail the corruption case against him, as government officials confirmed reports that the former lawmaker recently appeared in Sweden.
“The Office of the Ombudsman will not be distracted by dilatory tactics meant to derail the in-depth investigation into his illegal and corrupt acts,” Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano said. “We will stay focused.”
Co, who is facing arrest warrants, filed a 55-page petition for certiorari and prohibition seeking to stop Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla from implementing a resolution that found probable cause to charge him with violations of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act and malversation of public funds through falsification of public documents.
Attached to the petition is an apostille indicating that Co was in Stockholm, Sweden earlier this month.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla said in a TV show he was “surprised” by reports that Co personally appeared in Sweden, after authorities earlier believed he was staying in a gated community in Lisbon, Portugal.
“We were surprised. Because their place is a gated community, it’s easy to escape there if you hide in the car,” Remulla said in an interview with GMA Network’s “Unang Hirit.”
Remulla noted that travel within European Union countries is relatively easy due to the absence of border controls.
“So, if he managed to reach Sweden, and if the apostille is verified, he likely traveled by land to Stockholm. This is probably a two-day drive or about a day and a half by train,” he said.
In an exclusive report by GMA Integrated News’ Joseph Morong, Co was confirmed to have been in Stockholm as early as January 15, based on an apostille attached to the SC petition filed on January 25.
The apostille showed that Co personally signed the petition before a notary public in the municipality of Nacka, Stockholm.
An apostille is a certificate that authenticates the origin of a public document.
Remulla said intelligence operatives could not be faulted for missing Co’s movements, citing limited manpower and the former lawmaker’s resources.
“Nevertheless, the President (Ferdinand Marcos Jr.) said he would take steps to talk to the President of Portugal to resolve this,” Remulla said.
Amid reports that Co has sent feelers, Remulla stressed that there would be no negotiations unless the former lawmaker returns at least $1 billion in funds allegedly involved in the corruption case.
“No deal. Return the money first before we talk,” Remulla said.
Arrest warrants have been issued against Co and several others, including officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways and directors of Sunwest Corp., over alleged irregularities in flood control projects.
On November 18, 2025, the Ombudsman filed corruption and malversation charges against Co and his co-accused before the Sandiganbayan in connection with an alleged P289-million flood control project in Oriental Mindoro. Co has denied the allegations.







