Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

DSWD’s Walang Gutom program starts

Beneficiaries of the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s (DSWD) Walang Gutom Program welcomed the new year by purchasing affordable and nutritious food items from partner merchants and retailers during their first redemption day of the year.

DSWD spokesperson Assistant Secretary Irene Dumlao said food redemption for beneficiaries began on January 2 to ensure that families have healthy food on their tables at the start of 2026, with simultaneous redemption activities conducted starting Friday.

- Advertisement -

From January 2 to 6, food redemption activities were held in the municipalities of Talitay, Northern Kabuntalan, and Datu Blah Sinsuat in Maguindanao del Norte; Lemery, Carles, and Balasan in Iloilo; Albay, Sorsogon, and Camarines Sur in Bicol; and Cotabato City.

Dumlao said it was encouraging to see beneficiaries smiling after purchasing rice, fruits, vegetables, and other nutritious food items for their families.

She added that food redemption activities in other cities and municipalities are scheduled to continue until the last week of January.

Under the program, beneficiaries use electronic benefit transfer cards loaded with P3,000 in monthly food credits, allocated for carbohydrates, protein-rich products, and vegetables, fruits, salt, and other condiments.

The Walang Gutom Program is a flagship initiative of the Marcos administration under Executive Order No. 44 and serves as the country’s version of a food stamp program.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img