Says intense, stressful work took toll on ex-DPWH chief
Former Public Works chief Rogelio Singson has resigned from the Independent Commission for Infrastructure effective December 15, ICI chairman Andres Reyes Jr. said in a statement yesterday.
“He mentioned the very intense and stressful ICI work has taken its toll on his aging body,” Reyes said, adding that Singson was “not used to this kind of life.”
Reyes said Singson could extend his stay with the ICI until December 31.
In a message to Politiko, Singson said he was “winding up” his work at the ICI because “they would need lawyers for the next step.”
“I am just with the ICI hearing,” Singson said.
Earlier, Jing Paras, a former adviser of former President Rodrigo Duterte, claimed Singson opted to resign because he was “not pleased with the ICI.”

“He told me in front of a former congressman. We bumped into a restaurant in Rockwell. Even Babes Singson does not want the ICI,” Paras said.
For his part, Bicol Saro party-list Rep. Terry Ridon said Singson’s resignation was a serious setback to its fact-finding work, particularly as the former Public Works chief had insider access, institutional memory, and deep understanding of the goings-on in the department.
“The President should appoint a replacement with the same level of expertise and integrity as Sec. Singson, as domain knowledge on infrastructure planning, budgeting, and implementation is indispensable to the ICI’s mandate,” Ridon said.
At the same time, Ridon said the ICI should avoid any indication of due process overreach, which seemed apparent in its joint referral with the DPWH against alleged congressmen–contractors, or what Andres described as “congtractors.”
“We have noted that the ICI joined the referral to the Ombudsman even though these alleged congressmen–contractors had not yet been invited by the ICI for deliberative proceedings,” he said.
“The ICI should also adopt strict rules on the availment of executive sessions by invited resource persons. Only matters involving national security or legitimate state secrets should qualify as allowable grounds for executive sessions, to ensure that the public’s right to know and the demands of accountability are not unduly curtailed,” Ridon added.
The ICI is facing two petitions questioning its constitutionality before the Supreme Court.
Paras is one of the petitioners, while the other one is high school teacher John Barry Tayam, who cited conflict of interest as the ICI, created by the executive branch of government, will investigate the DPWH which is also under the executive branch.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., however, previously expressed confidence that the government was “on safe legal grounds” where the ICI’s constitutionality was concerned.
“Well, you know, it (filing of petitions vs. ICI) is not exactly a surprise. The ICI is an entirely new entity that didn’t exist before, that we are only now completely defining. So, there will be questions as to its legality, its constitutionality,” Mr. Marcos said in an interview in South Korea last month.
“I was sure somebody would have an idea that maybe it’s unconstitutional or that it’s unlawful. We’ll just have to answer those allegations and we’ll see how the Supreme Court decides,” he added.







