POPE Leo XIV has expressed solidarity with the people of the Philippines, offering prayers for the victims of super typhoons “Tino” and “Uwan.”
On Sunday, Nov. 9, after the recitation of the Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square the Pope offered his prayers for the Filipinos.
“I express my closeness to the people of the Philippines who have been hit by a violent typhoon: I pray for the deceased and their families, as well as for the injured and displaced,” he said.
He also shared the same message of sympathy and prayer on his official X account.
Last week, Typhoon Tino battered Cebu province, raising the death toll to 224, with 109 people still missing and 156 injured.
Yesterday, the Philippines geared up for Typhoon Uwan, which prompted several areas in Luzon to be placed under storm signal no. 5.
As of press time, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) has reported two fatalities due to Typhoon Uwan.
Earlier, the Archdiocese of Manila appealed to schools, churches, and other institutions to open their doors and provide temporary shelter to displaced families as typhoon “Uwan” swept multiple parts ofthe country.
In a statement, the archdiocese’s Ministry with Persons in Street Dwelling Situations urged establishments with available covered spaces, restrooms, and clean facilities to extend assistance to the needy during the storm.
“Kindly offer your spaces for our Persons in Street-Dwelling Situations during this time of need,” the archdiocese said.
The Church also reminded the public to remain vigilant, follow official weather advisories, and extend compassion to those most in need as Uwan continues to move closer to the country’s landmass.







