The national government has placed all agencies on full alert to respond to the impact of Severe Tropical Storm ‘Opong’ and sustain recovery efforts for areas earlier battered by Super Typhoon ‘Nando,’ the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said Friday.
In a press briefing at Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City, OCD Assistant Secretary Rafaelito Alejandro IV said President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has ordered a “100 percent mobilization” of government resources to assist affected communities as Opong continues to move across parts of the country.
“Rest assured that we are in full force. We are on red alert, following the directive of President Marcos that 100 percent of national government agencies should be on full alert and ready to assist and augment areas hit by the storm, especially those affected by Opong,” Alejandro said.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) is maintaining “constant communication and coordination” as response operations remain ongoing, while early recovery efforts continue in Northern Luzon communities previously devastated by Super Typhoon Nando.”
“Our health cluster is ready. We have adequate medical supplies, logistics are prepared, and many aircraft are on standby. Our search, rescue, and retrieval teams are also ready,” Alejandro said.
According to the OCD, nearly 1,000 personnel have already been deployed for disaster response operations in areas affected by ‘Nando,’ while about 52,000 more are on standby to augment local government units “at a moment’s notice.”
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has assured that food and non-food items are sufficient, with around P3 billion worth of standby funds available for immediate use.
Telecommunications services have also been readied, with 833 teams and equipment from the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) and partner agencies on standby.
Alejandro added that camp coordination and management teams are active, with 389 evacuation centers currently housing displaced families.
“As we continue to monitor the situation, we urge the public to remain vigilant and heed the advisories of their local government units,” he said.
Severe Tropical Storm Opong follows the devastation left by Super Typhoon Nando, which displaced thousands and caused widespread damage in parts of Northern Luzon earlier this month.
Authorities are still assessing the full extent of Opong’s impact as it brings heavy rains and strong winds across several regions.







