Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

RORE pact stays despite China’s presence in Ayungin – NMC

The provisional understanding between Manila and Beijing on resupply missions to the BRP Sierra Madre “remains the same” as far as the National Maritime Council (NMC) is concerned.

On the sidelines of the Maritime and Archipelagic Nation Awareness Month (MANAMo) on Monday, NMC Spokesperson Undersecretary Alexander Lopez noted that the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) continues to engage with its Chinese counterpart.

- Advertisement -

“Wala, wala. Hindi naman nabago ang provisional understanding between our country and China. Our Department of Foreign Affairs and its counterpart are still talking. We just leave it that way,” the official said.

The remark came despite China’s increased presence and activities in the vicinity of Ayungin Shoal.

He continued, “If ever there is a violation [of the provisional understanding], I think the DFA will be the right agency to ask and kung ano talaga ang napag-usapan.”

Asked whether the August 11 collision in Bajo de Masinloc would affect the two countries’ provisional understanding in Ayungin Shoal, Lopez said, “Walang epekto yun.”

“Dahil sa nangyari sa China, they’re trying to reverse the impact on them. So, yung increase in presence, expected namin yun. It will be a reaction on their part, kasi it’s a big embarrassment on their part. They are twisting narratives para ipakita na they are still in control,” he said.

Lopez said the government would continue to monitor all the activities of Chinese vessels and aircraft in the West Philippine Sea.

“All these things, we take them seriously. We monitor them properly and take note of the moves they are doing,” he noted.

The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy vessel that figured in a collision with another Chinese ship last month is no longer being monitored in the West Philippine Sea, according to Lopez.

“Wala na yun ever since [the collision],” he said.

On August 11, the PLA Navy 164 and China Coast Guard (CCG) 3104 collided while pursuing the Philippine Coast Guard’s (PCG) BRP Suluan near Bajo de Masinloc or Scarborough Shoal.

The CCG vessel sustained substantial damage, rendering it “unseaworthy.”

Reuters reported last week that the coast guard ship was under repair at a naval base in Hainan Province, China.

Lopez said the Chinese warship is also expected to undergo repairs.

“Actually, we expected that they would be doing repairs, even sa China Coast Guard na nabangga, namonitor natin in a naval base somewhere, maybe in Hainan. Even the 164 Chinese Navy vessel will be undergoing repair,” Lopez noted.

“As of now, I’m not privy saan sila [PLA Navy 164]. Normally, tinatago naman nila mag ganon,” he added. 

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img