THE Department of Social Welfare and Development’s (DSWD) total amount of assistance extended to families and individuals affected by recent weather systems has reached P293 million, an agency official reported over the weekend.
Tropical Cyclones Crising and Dante, as well as the continued downpour from Typhoon Emong and the southwest monsoon or habagat, have impacted 1,380,087 families—or 4,934,207 individuals—across 5,501 barangays nationwide.
Assistant Secretary Irene Dumlao of the DSWD’s Disaster Response Management Group (DRMG) said the agency’s delivery of family food packs (FFPs) and non-food items (NFIs) will continue in the coming days and weeks. This is in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive that “no one should be left behind during times of disaster.”
“Our relief operations continue in various areas in collaboration with our local government units (LGUs). Leading among the aid that we have already sent is the 431,722 family food packs and 3,903 ready-to-eat food (RTEF) boxes by the DSWD. It also includes non-food items for evacuees such as blankets, hygiene kits, family and kitchen kits, and water filtration units,” Dumlao said.
A total of 53,132 families—or 189,346 individuals—are currently taking temporary shelter in 1,609 evacua-tion centers across the National Capital Region, Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA, Bicol Region, Western Visayas, Negros Island Region, Central Visayas, Caraga, and the Cordillera Administrative Region.
“Even during heavy rains caused by successive weather disturbances, our disaster frontliners or Angels in Red Vests show up every day to deliver help. Also working with us is Secretary Rex Gatchalian, who since Monday has been personally checking on the disaster-affected families and ensuring their needs are being addressed,” Dumlao added.
In the Ilocos Region, currently being battered by Typhoon Emong, families expressed gratitude to DSWD Field Office 1 for the swift distribution of aid. Among the beneficiaries was Reynaldo Tabag from Dumalneg, Ilocos Norte, who said the food packs were essential as their livelihoods had been disrupted.
Assistant Secretary Dumlao emphasized that the DSWD is maximizing all its disaster response resources to provide not just immediate, but also comprehensive and compassionate relief efforts to uplift affected com-munities.
“In the hardest-hit areas experiencing flooding and heavy rainfall, our Field Offices are deploying Mobile Kitch-ens to serve hot meals. Our Mobile Command Center units are also multipurpose—not only do they improve disaster response coordination, but they also provide free Wi-Fi and electricity to those in need,” she said.







