MOSCOW—Russia said Tuesday its army had captured another village in eastern Ukraine, as its troops press on across the battlefield.
The Russian defense ministry said on social media that its forces had captured the village of Rozlyv in the Donetsk region, which Russia claims to have annexed despite not having full control over it.
In Kyiv, Ukraine, visiting German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of “playing for time” in negotiations over the war in Ukraine as she arrived on a visit to Kyiv on Tuesday.
“Ukraine is ready for an immediate ceasefire. It is Putin who is playing for time, does not want peace and is continuing his war of aggression, which is a violation of international law,” Baerbock said in a statement shared by her ministry.
“He is feigning a willingness to negotiate, but not deviating an inch from his goals,” she said on her ninth visit to Ukraine since the start of the war.
Meanwhile, Ukraine’s foreign minister said 45,000 in his country were without electricity after Russian strikes, but did not specify where in Ukraine.
Russia is still trying to capture the whole of eastern and southern Ukraine, though the pace of its advance has dipped in recent months, according to independent analysts.
AFP journalists visited the village of Rozlyv in October, when Russian troops were some 20 kilometers away and advancing rapidly.
Locals who spoke to AFP then, many who had already fled homes in towns captured by Russia, doubted whether they had the strength to relocate once more.
Russia’s defense ministry also accused Ukraine of a drone attack on an energy site in the Belgorod border region — the latest in a string of such accusations over the last week.
“Thus, regardless of its public statements of support for the Russian-US agreements on a phased settlement of the conflict in Ukraine, the Kyiv regime continues to unilaterally strike Russia’s energy facilities on a daily basis,” the defense ministry said.
The United States last week said the leaders of both Russia and Ukraine had agreed to halt strikes on energy facilities — though no formal agreement or ceasefire has been put in place and both sides have accused the other of launching fresh attacks.
On March 11, Ukraine, whose army is struggling on the frontline, and the United States agreed on a plan for a 30-day ceasefire with Russia.
But Putin has rejected the US proposal and has upped his rhetoric on Moscow wanting to install new leadership in Ukraine.
Baerbock was visiting Kyiv for the first time since the re-election of US President Donald Trump, who has upended US-Europe relations by reaching out to Russia over European heads to seek an end to the conflict.
The shift in policy has sparked concern over the future of the NATO alliance and prompted Europe to focus on boosting its own defense capabilities and upping its support for Ukraine.
Germany in March approved three billion euros ($3.25 billion) in new military aid for Ukraine after adopting a major new spending package that eased its traditionally strict debt rules.
“In view of the deadlock between the United States and Russia, it is absolutely vital that we Europeans show that we stand by Ukraine’s side… and support it now more than ever,” Baerbock said.
Commemorations were held in Ukraine on Monday in the city of Bucha, where Russia’s army is accused of murdering hundreds of civilians three years ago.