Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Acting Secretary Jay Ruiz said that courtesy resignations from politically appointed officials are standard practice, emphasizing the administration’s discretion in assembling its team.
“As presidential appointees, it is customary for officials to tender their courtesy resignations,” Ruiz said in Filipino. “This allows the administration to have a free hand in selecting those who will be part of the team.”
The Palace official explained that evaluating officials’ performance is necessary to maintain efficiency within the department.
“Like in any company, when new leadership comes in, there is an assessment of what each official has accomplished,” he said. “Proper evaluation must be conducted to determine their contributions.”
The executive secretary had previously issued orders calling for changes within the department. Ruiz said this was essential due to concerns over leaks, internal conflicts, and intrigue within the agency.
“There have been many leaks, many intrigues, and instances of backbiting. We do not want that,” the PCO chief said.
“All orders and documents must be treated as confidential, whether they come from within the department or elsewhere,” he added.
Ruiz did not specify how many officials had complied with the directive so far but reiterated that the goal was to streamline processes and ensure a more effective PCO.
Malacañang earlier ordered all incumbent PCO officials, as well as heads of its attached agencies to submit their courtesy resignations, by Feb. 28 to give Ruiz a “free hand in performing his duties and functions.”