spot_img
27.9 C
Philippines
Friday, April 19, 2024

Rody’s supporters rally vs. people’s initiative in Cebu

- Advertisement -

In a show of force, supporters and close allies of former President Rodrigo Duterte gathered in Cebu City to oppose constitutional amendments through a people’s initiative.

Organizers of the “Hakbang ng Maisug” (Step of the Brave) movement held a candlelight rally at the South Road Properties in Cebu City, where Duterte was expected to speak as guest of honor.

This was the second gathering held by his allies after launching the movement in Davao City last month.

Notable attendees in the event included Davao City Mayor Sebastian Duterte, Rep. Paolo Duterte, former presidential spokesman Harry Roque, former Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez, Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, former Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo and television host Willie Revillame.

“[We are here] to support the ‘TRAPS’—transparency, accountability, peace and security—that is what we are fighting for,” a female supporter was quoted saying in a video posted on X.

- Advertisement -

Panelo said the public should not be surprised that what started in Davao City would spill over to Cebu because of the irregularities involved in the gathering of signatures for Charter change through a people’s initiative.

Rodriguez, a former Cabinet official of President Marcos, said the PI campaign continues despite earlier pronouncements from the Commission on Elections (Comelec) that it already stopped all proceedings related to the signature campaign to amend the 1987 Constitution.

“We have many friends from all over the Philippines who said it is still ongoing,” he said in a video interview shared on Facebook.

Vice President and Education Secretary Sara Duterte did not confirm her attendance to the event.

- Advertisement -

LATEST NEWS

Popular Articles