Senator Francis Escudero has expressed support for the administration’s plan to reopen formal peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) to end the long-running insurgency and attain lasting peace in the country.
In a radio interview over DWIZ, Zubiri said any peace initiative must get the backing of every Filipino.
He noted that any peaceful means to resolve killings and infightings “should not be stopped.”
“We should always be open to all peaceful means like peace talks,” he added.
As a basic policy, Escudero believes every government should be open to any possibility of dialogues to settle any differences, as opposed to simply pursuing war against fellow Filipinos.
With the passing of CPP founding chairman Jose Maria Sison last year, the Bicolano senator said the Filipino people should give the current communist leadership the opportunity to show their sincerity toward another round of peace negotiations.
“Perhaps the situation has changed. What was impossible before (peace) is possible now, and those who wouldn’t accept it then might take it now,” Escudero said.
“We can’t say, as time passes, that minds will not be changed, hearts and souls of each citizen will not be turned. As the leader of the CPP-NPA-NDF has passed away, perhaps a change has taken place in their ranks,” he added.
A Joint Communique between the Philippine Government and the NDF released last Nov. 23 announced that the parties have agreed to a “principled and peaceful resolution of the armed conflict resolving the roots of the armed conflict and ending the armed struggle.”
Presidential Adviser on Peace, Reconciliation, and Unity Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said the new development will pave the way for the peace talks to start anew, after it was terminated by then-President Rodrigo Duterte in May 2017.