COVID-19 update

Sarah, Matteo: Defying Divine

posted February 23, 2020 at 04:30 am
by  Nickie Wang
While some celebrities turn their nuptials into a public spectacle, screen and music superstar Sarah Geronimo and actor Matteo Guidicelli exchanged “I dos” in a private ceremony at Victory Church in Taguig on Thursday night. 

Sarah, Matteo: Defying Divine
Sarah Geronimo and actor Matteo Guidicelli
The reception, attended by the couple’s close friends and the groom’s relatives, was held in a posh hotel in BGC.

The Internet went ablaze when a “preemptive report” by entertainment columnist Ricky Lo leaked the secret wedding Thursday morning, saying Sarah and Matteo would be getting married anytime within the day. 

Subsequent reports flooded the online world belying the report of the veteran entertainment columnist when a staff member of The Voice Teens Philippines posted a video and pictures of the 31-year-old actress busy for the rehearsals of the reality singing search.    

A source from The Voice told Manila Standard that from Feb. 20, Sarah would have four taping days for The Voice Battles, the next round in the competition, but could not confirm whether the singer had other engagements after the shoot. 

At 3:30 in the afternoon, Sarah left the set, a coffee shop on Sgt. Esguerra, alone.   

No update was given until the next day, Friday, at around 3:00 in the morning when Jerry Tamara, a bodyguard of Sarah’s family, reported to the Taguig police that he had been punched by Matteo after the actor accused him of informing Sarah’s parents of the private ceremony.   

Based on the police blotter, the incident, now denied by Matteo, happened at around 11:00 p.m. on Thursday, and Tamara reported the incident at 3:27 a.m. Friday. 

No case against Matteo was filed as of this writing.  

In an interview with ABS-CBN’s Mario Dumaual on Friday, Feb. 21, Matteo said “Wala akong sinuntok (I did not punch anyone)” and confirmed that he and Sarah indeed tied the knot.   

The newlyweds have been together for six years and announced their engagement in November last year via an Instagram post. 

Shortly after the announcement, Matteo took to social media to publicly reach out to the pop star’s parents and apologize for some events that transpired in the past.

“Tito Delfin and Tita Divine, if there have been hard feelings or events that were not supposed to happen in the past, I humbly apologize. I assure you that I will give Sarah a happy life with the best of my capabilities,” Matteo said in his post.

While the two have kept their relationship mostly private, they have openly spoken about their love for each other, despite supposed “Divine intervention” of the pop star’s strict parents. 

In earlier interviews, Sarah said that they were planning to have a “grand church wedding” in Italy sometime in March.   

Topics: Sarah Geronimo , Matteo Guidicelli , private ceremony , Ricky Lo
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by The Standard. Comments are views by thestandard.ph readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of thestandard.ph. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with The Standard editorial standards, The Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.