Dagupan City—The Pangasinan Provincial Health Office is monitoring acute gastroenteritis cases as the disease has already left 36 dead from January to the second week of August this year, an official said on Monday.
Provincial health officer, Dr. Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman said there was a 21-percent increase of cases this year with 6,695 compared to last year’s 5,533 acute gastroenteritis victims.
“Out of 36 fatalities, seven are from Dagupan City,” she said in an interview.
The PHO placed San Carlos City, Mangaldan, Bayambang, Calasiao, and Alaminos City under close watch, as these cities and towns have the highest concentration of acute gastroenteritis cases at 541, 432, 404, 337, and 290, respectively.
The PHO urged the public to find clean water sources, and de Guzman asked residents to purify tap water to kill most of the germs and parasites.