The Energy Department said it is closely monitoring the power supply situation in Iloilo City to ensure the continued services amid the legal tussle between Panay Electric Co. and More Electric Power Corp. and the anticipated increase in demand during the dry months.
“Definitely, DOE is closely monitoring the situation in Iloilo and have to ensure no disruption of services,” Electric Power Industry Management Bureau director Mario Marasigan said.
Visayas power reserves were estimated at 186 megawatts Tuesday, as available generating capacity of 2,174 MW exceeded the demand of 1,988 MW.
“The issue in Iloilo is not on supply, it’s on the operation of PECO plus their legal concerns with MORE,” Marasigan said.
Marasigan said a shortage in supply was not expected in Iloilo City as Panay is still exporting to Cebu and the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market, the country’s trading floor of electricity.
MORE was granted a franchise to operate a distribution network in February last year while PECO’s franchise expired in January 2019. MORE’s franchise gives a two-year transition period to PECO which was granted a certificate of public convenience and necessity by the Energy Regulatory Commission. The Supreme Court recently denied the petition filed by PECO to move outside Iloilo City the expropriation case filed by MORE.
“The SC order denying the petition of PECO to transfer venue of the case is self-explanatory. Anyone who reads it will understand the meaning of it, “MORE president Roel Castro said.