Aboitiz Power Corp. said Thursday said it is dismanting two diesel facilities in Naga City, Cebu over technical and operational issues effective March 31, 2025.
Aboitiz Power said in a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange its subsidiary Therma PowerVisayas Inc. (TPVI) received a letter of confirmation (LOC) from the Department of Energy (DOE) for the decommissioning of TPVI’s 44.64-megawatt Naga Oil-Fired Power Plant (OFPP) and 0.440-MW Black Start Diesel Engine Generating Unit (BSDEGU) located at the Naga Power Plant Complex in Barangay Colon, Naga City.
“The decommissioning was pursued in view of the technical and operational issues of the plant caused mainly by the advanced age of the diesel engines,” the company said.
It said notices regarding the LOC would be sent to the appropriate offices and entities, including the Independent Electricity Market Operator of the Philippines Inc. (IEMOP), the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP), the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) and other concerned bodies, in accordance with the DOE’s Implementing Guidelines on the Decommissioning and Mothballing of a Generating Plant.
TPVI, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the AboitizPower through Therma Power Inc., acquired the Naga Power Plant Complex from its previous operator, Salcon Power Corp. on July 16, 2018.
TPVI has since then undertaken extensive rehabilitation, operation, and maintenance of the facility.
AboitizPower last week announced it would temporarily mothball two power barges of its wholly-owned subsidiary Therma Mobile Inc. (TMO) in Navotas City due to technical and commercial challenges.
The two bunker C-fired power barges (TMO Mobile 4 and Mobile 6) at the Navotas Fishport Complex, Baradero St., Northbay Blvd. in Navotas City will be shut down effective Feb. 14, 2025 but are expected to return to service by Feb. 1, 2027.
AboitizPower said TMO’s generation activities would continue through its two other remaining power barges—TMO Mobile 3 and Mobile 5, whose operations would not be affected.