Foreign portfolio investments or hot money yielded net inflows of $110 million in November, resulting from $1.3 billion in gross inflows and $1.2 billion in gross outflows, data from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas show.
The net inflows in November represented a reversal from the net outflows of $221 million registered in October 2021.
Majority of investments registered, or 94.1 percent, were in Philippine Stock Exchange-listed securities, while the remaining 5.9 percent went to investments in peso government securities.
Hot money transactions from Jan. 1 to Nov. 30, 2021 yielded net outflows of $570 million, lower than the $3.7-billion net outflows noted in the same period in 2020.
Foreign portfolio investments are also called “hot money” because of the ease they are invested in and taken out of the domestic financial markets.