Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

Raps filed vs. Ang, arrest warrants out soon—DOJ

The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday announced the formal filing of criminal charges against so-called gambling tycoon Atong Ang  in relation to the case of  the missing sabungeros (cockfighting enthusiasts).

In a message to reporters, DOJ spokesman lawyer Polo Martinez said the suits were filed last week before three courts.

- Advertisement -

“Yes, the Information for the cases against Atong Ang were formally filed last Friday,

Dec. 19, 2025. These were filed in three different courts – RTC (Regional Trial Court) of Lipa City; Sta. Cruz, Laguna; and San Pablo, Laguna,” Martinez said.

Ang and several others  face 10 counts of kidnapping with homicide and  16 counts of kidnapping with serious illegal detention.

Martinez added that arrest warrants may be issued by the courts upon determination of probable cause.

“Under the Revised Rules of Criminal Procedure, the courts wherein the Information are filed will issue the corresponding warrants of arrest upon its determination of the existence of probable cause based on the evidence submitted and the resolution by the panel of prosecutors,” he explained.

Earlier Interior and Local Government Secretary Juanito Victor Remulla said in an interview that  a warrant of arrest is expected to be issued “anytime soon”.

In a message to Manila Standard,  Ang’s legal counsel  Gabriel Villareal said they will “wait and see” on this development.

In a televised interview with Bilyonaryo, Secretary Remulla said the authorities will be busy in the coming days as they are expecting the arrest of Ang and more than 30 other suspects in relation to the disappearances of dozens of cockfight aficionados.

“It’s gonna be a busy 10 days before Christmas. But we’re anticipating an Atong Ang arrest… we’re gonna arrest him and 31 others,” Remulla said.

“I think in the next three days, we’re gonna get one warrant. We expect an arrest warrant for him any day now.”

The DILG chief also said the government has “very solid” evidence against Ang.

He is also considered “armed and dangerous,” so the method of arresting him will be different, Remulla added.

“The method of arresting him will be very different… we have to have that mindset that he is armed and dangerous because their record shows that they killed over a hundred people eh,” he said.

Ang was linked to the  missing  sabungeros  by Julie “Dondon” Patidongan, former chief of security at the farm and of his cockfighting arenas.

According to Patidongan, all the  missing  sabungeros  are now dead and dumped in Taal Lake in Batangas where Philippine Coast Guard divers scoured the bottom in a bid to recover the remains.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img