Monday, May 18, 2026
Today's Print

‘Wilma’ weakens but forces 30k families to evacuate

Nearly 30,000 families were affected by Tropical Depression “Wilma” while more than 9,000 people were evacuated, according to the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Region 8.

This as TROPICAL depression “Wilma” weakened into a low pressure area on Sunday.

- Advertisement -

“We had preemptive evacuation of 3,164 families or 9,614 people. But those affected totalled 29,960 families or 103,001 people in 123 barangays which encountered slight flooding,” OCD Region 8 (Eastern Visayas) officer-in-charge director Rey Gozon said in a radio interview.

Gozon said the evacuees would not be allowed to go back home until authorities were convinced they are safe.

Gozon said they are also focused on conducting preemptive evacuation in areas prone to floods and landslides.

So far they have not received any request from local government units (LGUs) for additional assistance, he added.

Gozon reminded the public that sailing and other water activities are not allowed due to Wilma. Sea trips are also prohibited at this time.

In its 11 a.m. weather advisory, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said “Wilma” weakened into an LPA due to unfavorable conditions.

The LPA is expected to continue moving westward or may move west southwest, traversing the area of Southern Luzon and the Visayas Sunday through Monday. 

Once over the West Philippine Sea, re-development into tropical depression is not ruled out.

The LPA. was estimated in the vicinity of Cataingan, Masbate.

It was moving with maximum sustained winds of kilometers per hour near the center and gustiness of up to km/h.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “‘Wilma’ affects nearly 30,000 families”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img