President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. called on the country’s security forces not to fall prey to organized disinformation efforts, noting that the spread of false narratives has become a growing threat to national cohesion.
Speaking before uniformed personnel during a dinner with the Armed Forces of the Philippines Council Sergeants Major Friday, Mr. Marcos said the stability of the republic depends on the military’s continued loyalty to the Constitution and its ability to remain focused despite mounting pressures.
“In these challenging times, when uncertainty clouds our vision, one truth remains: the republic endures because those who protect it do not fall,” he said.
“Let us not be swayed by the noise of lies amid the spread of misinformation for our division; let us stand on the truth,” Mr. Marcos added.
He cited key concerns confronting the nation, including rising regional tensions, strains on the economy, and the rapid circulation of fake news.
Without naming names, President Marcos said false information circulating online has been increasingly used to stir division and erode trust in institutions.
Mr. Marcos also highlighted the government’s decision to raise the daily subsistence allowance of military personnel from P200 to P350, an adjustment he described as modest but necessary.
“It may be a small thing, but it will help the lives of our people, our troops,” he said. “With everything we ask of them, this is one burden they should no longer have to worry about.”
In response, the nearly 200 sergeants major expressed their confidence in the administration, and thanked Mr. Marcos for increasing the daily allowance of soldiers.
“A simple thank you may not fully capture the depth of your love for our soldiers… but we assure you that our soldiers remain highly professional, disciplined, united in purpose,” said FCMS Feliciano Lazo.
“We reaffirm our pledge to the flag, to the Constitution and our duly-elected commander-in-chief and that is you, sir,” he said. “We remain apolitical and fully committed to preserving unity among Filipinos.”
Earlier this week, Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. cautioned participants in today’s “Trillion Peso March” against corruption that anyone pushing for a military-backed “reset” of the government faces arrest, even as state security forces prepare to quell any civil unrest that may arise during the event.
Teodoro said such calls are “totally illegal” and would be considered inciting to sedition.
“What you cannot do directly, you cannot do indirectly in the law. So, when you say withdrawal of support, it’s an indirect way of saying, ‘I’ll take over,’ which is illegal,” the defense chief said.
“The way I see it, they can be arrested. I mean, it’s illegal. It’s an indirect way, it’s an artful way [of calling for an overthrow of the government],” he added.







