The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday announced the recovery of 57 bones from Taal Lake following the resumption of search and retrieval operations related to the case of missing cockfighting enthusiasts.
In a press briefing, Justice spokesperson Polo Martinez said the bones were recovered on three separate dates this month.
“On November 6, November 17, and November 18, the CIDG–Regional Field Unit of Region IV-A conducted separate investigations in Taal Lake. This followed the resumption of investigation and diving operations, which were previously suspended because of the typhoon and the condition of Taal Volcano in the area,” he said.
Martinez reported that 25 pieces of alleged human skeletal remains were discovered and collected on November 6.

In its November 17 operations, the team recovered black pants with a black belt, a white brief, and cut wheat flour cloth along with six pieces of human skeletal remains. Meanwhile, 26 more bones were collected on November 18.
Last month, the DOJ reassured the public that diving operations were still ongoing to search for possible remains. However, Philippine Coast Guard units were placed on standby due to significantly poor underwater visibility.
Earlier, Martinez shared that a total of 60 operations were conducted from July until October, with 981 pieces of bones submitted for examination.
The DOJ has not yet issued a decision on the complaint against gaming tycoon Atong Ang and his co-respondents who are allegedly behind the disappearance of the cockfighting enthusiasts.







