Cebu—Typhoon Tino caused widespread destruction in Central Visayas, with Cebu listed among the hardest-hit provinces, as residents and local government units (LGUs) organized clearing operations and power restoration activities while reeling from another state of calamity.
Governor Pamela Baricuatro convened a meeting with various public utility providers on Wednesday to coordinate the immediate reconnection of essential services—such as electricity, water, and internet—which had been affected in the wake of the recent powerful storm.
Baricuatro emphasized that bringing power transmission and distribution services back is most crucial as it is critical for both communication networks and water systems to fully operate. As of writing, authorities said the internet was 50 percent restored while water was at 40 percent operational capacity.
The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) reported its transmission lines are back at 45 percent as of 8:00 a.m. Major telecommunication networks, meanwhile, said they are targeting to restore at least 90 percent of internet services in two or three days.
The official death toll from ‘Tino’ in Cebu rose to 92, according to the Cebu Provincial Emergency Operations Center and the Cebu City Disaster Office, citing figures released as of 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday.
Based on provincial data, Liloan has the highest number of casualties at 35 followed by Compostela (16), Mandaue City (9), Danao City (9), Cebu City (9), Talisay City (7), Balamban (6), and Consolacion (1). At least 38 individuals remain missing across the province.
Most deaths were caused by drowning due to massive flooding and landslides. The typhoon displaced over 102,000 people equivalent to 32,603 families across the province. Authorities said these numbers may still change, as search, rescue, and retrieval operations continue throughout Cebu.
Baricuatro on Tuesday signed Executive Order no. 68 placing the entire province under a state of calamity due to the effects of ‘Tino.’ The provincial government also announced it is open to accept donations for the victims in storm-hit communities.
The governor inspected Talisay City, where villages along South Road Properties had been inundated as water from the nearby Mananga River overflowed. Talisay Mayor Samsam Gullas said their search and rescue operations focused on Barangays Biasong and Dumlog, where the river meets the sea.

Residents living along the banks of the Mananga River were evacuated preemptively before the typhoon struck—effectively preventing more casualties even as several houses were swept away by the raging waters.
Gullas also sought Baricuatro’s help for post-typhoon rehabilitation, particularly in terms of livelihood programs to help displaced families recover and rebuild quickly.
The Capitol and neighboring LGUs of Sibonga, Carcar City, and the City of Naga have already deployed rescue teams in Talisay City while awaiting the estimates of households that need relief aid.
According to various sources of news reports, 30 percent of homes in affected areas were destroyed, while the rest suffered partial damage; 95 percent of riverside homes in Cebu City’s North District were washed away.
Power outages affected several areas, with all electric cooperatives based in Cebu declaring a state of partial interruption. Widespread power failure remains in Camotes Island, which is also part of Cebu.
Key roads were blocked due to landslides and floods with half of Cebu City submerged, with areas like Barangay Babag, experiencing unprecedented flooding. Storm surges brought flooding over three meters high in low-lying coastal areas.
Typhoon Tino also disrupted air and sea travel, with over 75 domestic flights canceled and thousands of passengers stranded. Local businesses and tourism were also affected.
Emergency response teams were activated, with evacuations, food, water, and medical aid being provided to affected areas. The government prioritized helping vulnerable groups, such as the elderly, children, and people with disabilities.
Mandaue City was also flooded, prompting the local government to take action with specific flood control projects in the city, aiming to seek accountability over their failure to protect communities.







