Prosecutor General Richard Anthony Fadullon yesterday disclosed that more government officials are applying for state witness status with the Department of Justice (DOJ) in connection with its investigation into anomalous flood control projects.
“There were some additions [to state witness applicants], we are considering them, and we will see where they can serve as state witnesses. The Department’s position is that we cannot give blanket immunity,” he said in Filipino during a press briefing.
The head of the DOJ’s National Prosecution Service noted that his office is in discussions with potential state witnesses to determine if their statements are useful in advancing the government’s case against those behind the infrastructure scandal.
Fadullon, however, did not name the latest applicants, only saying “safe to say that they are from the DPWH [Department of Public Works and Highways].”
Earlier, the Office of the Ombudsman noted that former Bulacan 1st district assistant engineer Brice Hernandez is no longer bent on becoming a state witness and has since turned into a “cooperative witness.”
Conversely, the Ombudsman said contractor couple, Pacifico “Curlee” and Sarah Discaya, have “zero chance” of becoming state witnesses because of their pivotal roles in the flood control scam, and because they are “leaning to be hostile witnesses.”
However, Fadullon said that despite the Ombudsman’s assessment of the Discayas, they remain candidates for the government’s Witness Protection Program.
The country’s top prosecutor explained that he “cannot ascertain yet whether there is hostility” until he hears what the couple has to say.
On Monday, Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano stated the Discayas had “absolutely no chance” of becoming state witnesses due to their “uncooperative behavior.”
“They are leaning to be hostile witnesses and can only be charged as respondents in the future, accused in the case of malversation of public funds, of falsification of public documents, and all the other crimes they were a part of,” he pointed out.
Earlier this month, Brian Keith Hosaka, executive director of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure, announced that the Discaya couple would no longer cooperate with the government investigation, invoking their right against self-incrimination.







