President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Thursday announced more than P200 million in financial assistance to help rebuild communities devastated by a powerful 6.9-magnitude earthquake that struck northern Cebu earlier this week.
The comprehensive aid package, launched during a situational briefing with Cebu local officials, is aimed at accelerating rehabilitation, restoring essential services, and supporting displaced families across the province.
Speaking during an inspection of quake-hit areas here, President Marcos said the most significant damage from the tremor was to public infrastructure, including buildings and hospitals, leaving hundreds of families without access to safe evacuation centers.
“We will ensure that there is a food supply, a water supply, electricity if a generator is needed. Whatever (the) people need, we have it,” President Marcos said, adding that displaced families will receive P10,000 in initial cash assistance, with the possibility of additional support depending on recovery progress.
The Office of the President will release assistance worth P150 million for the Cebu provincial government and P75 million for affected towns, with smaller amounts allocated based on local needs through the Local Government Support Fund (LGSF).
President Marcos emphasized that the government’s efforts will not stop after his visit, promising continued coordination with local leaders to sustain rehabilitation and recovery.
“This is not a one-time thing. We will continue to monitor and coordinate to ensure that the progress of our rehabilitation goes smoothly,” he said.

The president also ordered the construction of a temporary “tent city” to house families who lost their homes or are afraid to return to damaged buildings. These shelters, equipped with water, electricity, and food supply, will serve as safe evacuation sites while reconstruction is underway.
These shelters, he said, can be quickly assembled and will be equipped with essential services.
The president also assured residents that power supply in Bogo will be fully restored by the end of the day, citing assurances from Energy Secretary Sharon Garin.
He said the city hospital, which had evacuated its patients outdoors after the quake, has been declared structurally safe following an inspection by Department of Public Works and Highways engineers.
“The hospital is safe. The patients can be brought back inside,” Mr. Marcos said.
The president underscored that the government’s priority is to ensure victims have food, water, shelter, and support for livelihood and commerce as communities rebuild.
“This ongoing recovery program will continue until we are satisfied that all those affected have been provided assistance, as long as there is food, a place to sleep, and businesses are up and running,” he said.
The situational briefing in Bogo City is part of the president’s visit to quake-hit areas in Cebu, where the government continues to assess damage and deliver emergency assistance following Tuesday night’s strong earthquake.







