The National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) Executive Committee (ExeCom) is seeking to extend the government’s amnesty program for insurgents until 2028, beyond its current deadline of March 16, 2026.
At a press briefing in Malacañang on Wednesday, National Amnesty Commission (NAC) Chair Leah Tanodra-Armamento said 4,269 applications had been filed as of Sept. 19, out of the projected 10,000 applicants before the program’s cutoff next year.
“We fear that there may be potential qualified applicants that may not be covered if the application ends in March 2026,” Armamento said.
In particular, she stated that Task Force Balik Loob—established by the government to provide comprehensive support to former rebels from the Communist Party of the Philippines-National Democratic Front, Militia ng Bayan, and their family members—has identified a total of 50,000 applicants.
In addition, the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace, Reconciliation and Unity (OPAPRU) estimated that some 40,000 decommissioned members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) are potential applicants for amnesty.
“We are requesting [a two-year extension]. The reason for that is that when a proclamation for amnesty is issued by the President, we have to ask the Congress for concurrence,” she said.
NTF-ELCAC Executive Director Ernesto Torres Jr. said the approval of the extension is waiting for further review by President Marcos.
On the other hand, the ExeCom supported the passing of Senate Bill (SB) 1366, or the “Terror Grooming Prevention Act,” that seeks to strengthen the government’s preventive mechanism against radicalization, recruitment, and indoctrination, especially among the youth and other vulnerable sectors.
“This bill disrupts predatory recruitment that turns hardship into violence, empowers communities to reject manipulation, and delivers justice and rehabilitation to victims–all while safeguarding legitimate dissent,” he said.
Senator Ronaldo dela Rosa filed SB 1366 on Sept. 9, 2025.
He also announced the oath-taking of new Cabinet Officers for Regional Development and Security (CORDS) members of the ExeCom and cluster heads.
These include the designation of Department of Information and Communications (DICT) Secretary Henry Aguda as CORDS for Region 4-B (Mimaropa) and Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon as CORDS for Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula).
Moreover, Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Teodoro Herbosa was designated as CORDS for Region 10 (Northern Mindanao), while Department of Agriculture Secretary Francisco Laurel was designated CORDS for Region 12 (Soccsksargen).
Several Cabinet members also took their oath as ExeCom members, including Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Ma. Theresa Lazaro, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Acting Secretary Dave Gomez, and Department of Human Settlement and Urban Development (DHSUD) Secretary Jose Ramon Aliling.
Other new ExeCom members include Energy Secretary Sharon Garin, Philippine National Police acting chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., Commission on Higher Education Chair Shirley Agrupis, and Solicitor General Darlene Berberabe.
On the other hand, Bishop Noel Pantoja of the Philippine Council for Evangelical Churches was appointed as one of two private sector representatives of the ExeCom.







