Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson on Sunday assured that the documents and a computer retrieved from dismissed Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) engineer Brice Hernandez will undergo proper handling to preserve the chain of custody.
Lacson, who chairs the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, confirmed that the evidence was brought by Hernandez, who is testifying on alleged irregularities in flood control projects.
“We will follow a process, and we are preparing for that now so that tomorrow all of it can be opened. For now, it remains sealed because it was already sealed when it was retrieved,” the veteran lawmaker explained.
Lacson announced that the committee will hold its next hearing on Tuesday morning to address what he described as “new developments” and to summon former DPWH officials to explain their involvement.
Hernandez was allowed to leave the Senate over the weekend to gather documents, a computer, and other materials that could support his accusations of bribery and kickbacks involving public works contracts.
The sacked DPWH engineer previously alleged that some of the funds were funneled to Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Joel Villanueva, and former Caloocan City Rep. Mitch Cajayon-Uy, all of whom have denied the claims.
Lacson said any evidence of illicit commissions would be referred immediately to the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) for prosecution, noting that the Senate inquiry and the commission’s investigation are complementary.
“Right away, even if our hearing is not yet finished and there is still no committee report, I will send that portion identifying those implicated and backed by evidence to the ICI to speed up their investigation,” he assured.
Among those expected to be invited to testify in the next Senate Blue Ribbon hearing are former DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan and retired Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, who Lacson said must clarify their roles in questionable projects.
Lacson noted that Bernardo appeared in a photo with Hernandez and other engineers allegedly involved in substandard and fictitious projects in Bulacan, a group informally referred to as the “BGC Boys.”
Bonoan, meanwhile, was asked to account for over P600 million in alleged cash deliveries from a private contractor to a district engineering office earlier this year.
Lacson also said he and Senate President Vicente Sotto III will meet with Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla to discuss possible admission of witnesses into the government’s protection program.
Hernandez and contractor couple Cezarah and Pacifico Discaya II were among those identified as seeking protection, though Lacson said only Hernandez had shown willingness to cooperate.
He criticized Pacifico Discaya II for refusing to testify despite being granted legislative immunity, contrasting his stance with contractor Sally Santos, who has disclosed details of cash deliveries.
Santos is currently under protective custody with additional security from the Philippine National Police.







